I'ts a tough enough piece of kit, BUT don't believe…

Price Paid: 220 gbp

I'ts a tough enough piece of kit, BUT don't believe the literage values you are given. The 95l is right when the daysack is off, but when zipped on the daysack has to be very empty to zip onto the main rucksack. Makes life a pain, as you will no doubt have to don daysack on front instead.

Mark

I've owned my Genesis for seven years. During this…

Design: Front and top loading
Size: 80 litres
Number of Pockets: lots
Max. Load Carried: 25 kg
Height of Owner: five foot 10
Price Paid: NZ $450

I've owned my Genesis for seven years. During this time I have used the daypack almost every day. It's faded and a bit grubby, but there's not the slightest sign of stitch or fabric failure. The waterproofing ain't what it used to be, though.

Basically, it's the perfect travel pack. It has just about every feature you can think of--zip-away harness for airports, removable day-pack and bum-bag, big YKK zips that can be padlocked, map compartment, sleeping bag compartment, internal and external compression straps, etc. It's made of a treated canvas that is supposedly waterproof.

The tradeoff for all the features and high-quality construction is that it's a little heavy. Rugged as hell, though.

I'm a bit biased because I'm a Kiwi and this is a Kiwi firm. But I can honestly say I've never found a firm that makes better packs.

Americans and Brits should take note that the Kiwi dollar is worth stuff--all in your currencies (My Genesis was less than US $200 or UK 125). So the Macpac should be especially good value for you guys.

Like many people when first thinking of travelling,…

Design: Hybrid - Travel Pack
Size: 85l
Number of Pockets: 3 + Day Pack
Max. Load Carried: 20kg
Height of Owner: 178cm

Like many people when first thinking of travelling, I looked for the cheap options, thankfully my mate convinced me to look at the best. My Macpac Genesis has been great; it carries all you need for an extended trip through Europe, and has the added benefit over many boxy Travel Packs that it works really well as a hiking pack. I have used it several times for overnight hikes.

Other good brands in Australia/New Zealand include Mountain Designs, Mont, Tika.

When it comes to these top end packs the best way to decide on which one is right for you is to load them up and try them on. The harnesses all vary slightly so pick the most comfortable for your back and don't worry too much about a differnce of a few dollars in price, these packs will be with you for years!!