Don't leave home without it. I am in my late 50s and…

Fabric: lycra, shroeder 400

Don't leave home without it.

I am in my late 50s and just started taking some serious mountain hikes. Given I get stuck in the lead, I wanted something to keep me dry, plus take whatever came my way. In addition, I also wanted a jacket that would look good should I choose to wear it to work.

This baby fits the bill. Fit's a problem for me (a 45 inch chest and a 33 waist) the jackets taper suits me well. It gives where and when I need it to.

I guess I could have survived with a lighter jacket, but this one is super fall through spring.

I'd been wanting this jacket ever since I saw it at…

Fabric: Schoeller
Price Paid: $160 (Sierra Trading Post)

I'd been wanting this jacket ever since I saw it at Sierra Trading Post. I'm 5'8", 145 lbs. and a meduim is just the right size. It fits more snugly than a hard shell, which is quite comfortable, tapering slightly at the waist but very simple overall.

Fit and finish are excellent, with nice touches like soft fabric for the chin when bundled up. Zippers are watertight and open/close easily. Zipper "tails" stand out nicely and are easy to find with gloves on. Hood is excellent - very well fit and highly adjustable.

Jacket feels light, with Schoeller fabric and shoulder reinforcement patches. Length is good for a climbing harness and shoulders articulate well for reaching over the head. Breathability is seems excellent, as is wind proofness. All in all an excellent jacket!

The Castor Jacket has been discontinued.

The Mammut Castor Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen sometime before 2006 at Sierra.

Six Moon Designs Silver Shadow Review