Mammut Heron Light 70+15

Lightweight, great options, and weight distribution.

Summary

Lightweight, great options, and weight distribution.

Pros

• Very lightweight
  • Many options for storage
  • Hinged hip belt
  • Adjustable fit

Cons

• Moderate ventillation
  • Small suspension

This is a great pack that I came across while surfing Trailspace! And it was such a great deal that I pulled the trigger being a fan of the Mammut line of products. Overall I think this pack competes with Gregory and Osprey in many categories.

Fit

The pack comes with a 4 level back adjustment that helps adjust fit according to height. I found this a little cumbersome to change and after several tries I realized that the initial setting was perfect for me. It is best to adjust the fit as soon as you get the pack so the V-shaped suspension can mold to your shape.

Comfort/ride

It is very comfortable and can handle moderately heavy weights. The suspension is a little small for the load it is capable of carrying but the hinged hip belt allows weights up to 50lbs to ride comfortably and with great balance. It is a very thick hip belt with a lot of cushion. This same cushioning is noted in the shoulders and back panel allowing for a comfort with load bearing, but limiting ventilation to some degree.

Organization and accessibility

Great organization and customization with a lot of pockets, lashings, and the standard (relatively standard) bottom sleeping bag compartment.

Durability

Seems durable. Only used it about 6 times so far, but without any problems. I have read some other reviews that note some issues including some of the plastic clips breaking. However, this is a Mammut, and they have been around for 150 quality years and have my trust.

Hi, Jtrofnp! Thanks for letting us know that you found this pack via Trailspace and it's working out for you. I hope you'll keep us posted on how it continues to perform. Got any pictures of your Heron in action?

The Mammut Heron Light 70+15 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 25, 2017 at SunnySports.

Six Moon Designs Silver Shadow Review