Mammut Masao Hooded Hardshell Jacket

rated 2.00 of 5 stars (2)
photo: Mammut Masao Hooded Hardshell Jacket waterproof jacket

Best for Approach, Mountaineering, Hiking
Weight 480 g
Water column [mm] 20000
Cut Regular Fit

Three-layer shell...Mammut has been tops for me.

Pros

• Fabric
  • Cut, once sizing is figured
  • Features and durability

Cons

• Zipper woes in the original as well as the current...sort of...

I have come back to the Masao hard shell last year after owning one when they were introduced. Been through some eVent and 3L Gore-tex.

This jacket is light, waterproof, warm, rugged, and fits nicely. This model is cursed with tricky zippers, but once you train yourself to it the rest of the jacket makes up for it. I've had A+ experience with Mammut's staff in Vermont.

So to pack away when you want, and protect you when you need, this shell is better than a lot out there. My new HS model is beautiful and rugged as hell.

Experience

Myself and wife both bought the original Masaos. I now have the new one;, zipper is nicer on my new one, although I'm guessing because of this model's specific use/weight concerns, they don't employ more rugged and easy zippers.

Cons

• Manufacturing quality—fell apart, seams detached

I bought this jacket to repair another jacket that failed. On this jacket the tapes completely detached at the hood and lapels area within the two-year warranty period. Mammut refused to honour their warranty.

Rubbish, save your money.

Price Paid: CHF450

Kato Baker

I think I lucked out because there is some kind of sales-distribution office for Mammut sort of near me...Otherwise it probably would've been a long wait for my repair....