Mammut Trion Spine 50

rated 4.5 of 5 stars
photo: Mammut Trion Spine 50 weekend pack (50-69l)

Price MSRP: $349.95
Length 30 cm
Best For Mountaineering, Hiking
Suspension system Mammut Active Spine Technology

Brilliant pack.

Pros

• Back panel
  • Quality
  • Capacity
  • Attachments
  • Belt pockets

Cons

• A bit on the heavy side

I'm devoted  to Mammut quality and the Eiger line of high end products. This brand exudes performance and sophistication. The Trion isn't the exception. Large enough for a weekend trip or a long alpine day. It's versatile and well balanced. Space is phenomenal and it truly is a 50L.

However, the best of all is the back zipped full panel. This allows to fully open the pack while on the floor and reach any position without messing around. It is brilliant. A feature commonly used by photography backpacks. It is hence, the first backpack where I may carry photo equipment and alpine tools. Those carrying skis will find the attachments on point as well.

Overall a phenomenal 50L alpine thoroughbred.

Experience

Been using Mammut for decades

Nice review, Luis!

Michele Bullock

Thanks for the review Luis and for noting its use a photo backpack and back panel loading. I was torn between this and the Gregory Targhee 45 which is designed for snow sports and also has back panel. I went with the Targhee when I found a great sale and color a couple years ago. It is a little smaller for air travel and I don't think the back panel opens as fully I think as the Trion, but I am still very happy with the way it carries a heavy load on a hike and has nice big buckles and zipper pulls for gloved hands. It is so waterproof I don't need a pack cover. Hmm maybe I will do a review of that bag - I am half way there. Glad you are happy with the Mammut and I will keep looking for it on sale as it is a quality bag as you wrote.

I hope you'll consider reviewing your Targhee, Michele! https://www.trailspace.com/gear/gregory/targhee-45/

FORLOH Deep Space Half Zip Long Sleeve Top Review