Recently picked up the Marmot Catalyst 3P as a backpacking…

Price Paid: $220 CAD

Summary

Recently picked up the Marmot Catalyst 3P as a backpacking tent with enough room for myself, my fiancé, and a 45-lb dog, and it didn't disappoint. Roomy and easy to assemble, the Catalyst took wind and rain without issue. Love the double door/vestibule.

My only complaint is that there aren't any vents on the fly, so there is an issue with condensation in the morning. Hardly a deal-breaker, however.

Pros

• Roomy
  • Easy to set up
  • Good weight for 3P

Cons

• Condensation buildup

I was largely weighing the Catalyst against the North Face Stormbreak 3 and the North Face Talus 3, and it was the inclusion of the groundsheet that sold me on the Catalyst.

6lbs (closer to 7 with pegs and ground sheet) is a touch on the heavy side for backpacking, and I wouldn't recommend it for any solo expeditions, but split between two (or if you want things rather tight, three) people, I don't think it's unreasonable at all.

Welcome to Trailspace, Dustin! Thanks for the review of your tent.