Marmot Highlander Down Hoody

Product Weight 1lb 1.28 oz / 489.9g
Main Fabric Pertex Quantum 100% Recycled Polyester Mini Ripstop 1.3 oz/yd
Insulation 700 fill power down
Fit Regular Fit

Terrific climbing and backpacking layer.

Pros

• Warm
  • Trim fit
  • Good sleeve length

Cons

• No hood adjustment

Bought this jacket recently to replace a down jacket that was 16 years old. Man, have they improved down jackets over the years!

As a climber I am always after a jacket with a hood. This one fits easily over my helmet and is not too baggy without it. The fit is close enough to fit well under my hardshell (Marmot Exum Ridge Jacket) and roomy enough to easily go over my active layers. It is terrific as a belay jacket for both ice and rock climbing, and is great for hanging out around camp.

The fill content is generous (5.7 oz of 700 fill down), which puts this jacket right in the sweet spot for a mid-weight jacket. There are heavier weight down jackets out there, but they are so warm that they end up in the closet for all but one or two days a year. Mid weight down jackets are way more versatile and spend a lot more time in your pack or on your body.

The Pertex Quantam shell is strong, light, and totally wind proof. As yet I haven't had to "test" the quality of the down defender treatment, as I'm pretty careful with my down jackets.

My only minor complaint is that the hood doesn't have any adjustment ability. A simple peripheral cord (like you have on the Minimalist Jacket) would make it perfect.

One feature the jacket has that is not in any of the product descriptions is that it stuffs into its own interior chest pocket and has a carabiner loop. It makes it super easy to stuff it and clip it to my harness when I'm moving, and re-deploy it when I stop. Also makes a nice pillow!

All in all I am very satisfied. I've had zero down leakage in this first season of use.

Experience

Over 40 years as a backpacker, over 30 years as an avid climber.

Nice (and timely) review of your Marmot Highlander, Alpine Climber. Thanks! If you have any pictures of your jacket in use, we'd love to see those in your review too.