Marmot Phase 30

photo: Marmot Phase 30 3-season down sleeping bag

Price Current Retail: $298.73-$494.00
Historic Range: $208.93-$494.00

Ultralight, warm, comfortable, tiny pack size, amazing value for money. Everything a sleeping bag should be!

Pros

• Ultra-Ultralight...only 506 grams (17.84 oz)!
  • 850+ fill, sterilised Hydrahobic down, coated with "Down Defender"
  • Silky smooth Pertex Quantum GL fabric
  • Cheaper than similar products from other brands.
  • Low-viz Deep Teal/Turf Green colour scheme is perfect for stealth camping
  • Can pack down to a tiny size inside a compression sack

Cons

• Care must be taken with the zip from inside to avoid snagging
  • EN Rating Lower comfort limit: 30.0°F / -1°C
  • EN Rating Extreme limit: 5.4°F / -14.8°C

I am a ultralight "gram counter" when it comes to camping gear and I wasn't happy with my old sleeping bag, which weighed under 800 grams but only had a 8°C (47°F) comfort rating. Then I discovered the Marmot Phase 30, which was a lot warmer (-1°C / 30°F) comfort rating, but more importantly, was also a lot lighter.

I am 6'1" and I found the Regular version was just long enough for me, but any taller and you will need the Long version, which weighs more. I went for the Regular version because it is only 506 grams (17.84 oz)...making it one of the lightest 30°F comfort rated sleeping bags you can buy.

Although the design looks like it might be constricting on the inside, for someone with a slim to normal sized torso like me (40-42") it isn't tight at all. In fact even with my Regular length Klymit Intertia X-Frame Recon sleeping mat slid inside it, I still have room to move around. There is plenty of room inside the ergonomically designed foot box for my UK size 9 (US size 10) feet too.

The US RRP is $399, but here in the UK it is £399 which is $527! The cheapest supplier I could find here was selling it for £320 ($422), so that is what I paid. In the US you will of course pay a lot less for it.

Price Paid: £320 GBP ($422) (Cheapest UK price)

Thanks for the review of your bag, Alf! How long have you had it?

Alf Beharie