Q&A

Have a question about three-season? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

This tent has condensation issues, to the point where…

Summary

This tent has condensation issues, to the point where all your sleeping bags/quilts with be wet. Even in the arid western United States.

Pros

Cons

• Condensation
  • Not that light

I would not recommend this tent. The company’s customer service doesn't help the cause.

Can you tell us more about what happened with your tent, and with Marmot's customer support, Close call? Thanks!

The two-person is a nice tent with lots of screen…

Price Paid: $200 from Sunny Sports

Summary

The two-person is a nice tent with lots of screen area for ventilation and visibility to outside. Four stakes (use Groundhog model and not those provided) and two hoops to set up and you are good to go!

Rainfly is an issue, even with thorough drying after use, the coating has become sticky and tacky and cannot be replaced or repaired. Marmot will provide me with a discount coupon and accept the tent as a return. I do like the designs; if I use the tent in dry weather, I can live with a defective rainfly coating.

Nicely made tent, otherwise.

Pros

• Easy to set up
  • Lots of ventilation without the rainfly
  • A nice, clean design
  • Well made

Cons

• My specific tent has a defective coating on the rainfly and this cannot be repaired. The tent was offered for sale for only three years and is no longer available. I have other Marmot tents that work well and are excellent with no problems. The rainfly issue is probably an anomaly. I have consulted with tenting experts and repair shops; Marmot will exchange entire tent and give me a coupon to buy something else of their label. I own two other Marmot tents and I know how to dry out and store tents properly.

Marmot-Starlight-2-person-tent.jpg
Marmot-Starlight-2-with-rainfly-off.jpg

Thanks for the info, Howard. I hope you'll let us know if you end up replacing it, due to the rainfly, with something else.

Howard Hayden

I am going to try a light dusting with talc to see whether this treatment will reduce the stickiness. I like the tent design and Marmot told me that I could return it for replacement for another tent of current availability and they would provide me with a discount coupon. I suspect a discount from the current MSRP so I end up paying a large amount for something else that I do not really want to own. If I continue to have problems with the texture of the rainfly, I shall wait until winter and send it back when the oudoor traffic is very low. For backpacking, I can still use the Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 which is small and light but a challenge to set up. The Marmot Starlight 2 has been on the market for three years, but now pulled off. I suspect that other campers have had rainfly problems, too. I have two other Marmot tents for car camping, but too heavy to use for backpacking...at least for me!

Good luck, Howard!