men's
Weight 8.7 oz / 246.6 g
Main Material MemBrain® Strata™ 100% Nylon Ripstop 2.2 oz / yd

The best raincoat is the one you have with you. This…

Summary

The best raincoat is the one you have with you. This jacket is so light there is never a reason not to carry it. However, I carry it only when I don't really expect significant rain. This is because it is so light that it is not really a hard shell—a little wind blows it against your skin/base layer, making it colder than a stiff hard shell. If I know it will rain, I would carry a heavier, stiffer jacket or at least a fleece to keep this jacket off my arms.

Pros

• Pit zips

Cons

• It is colder than a true hard shell in wet, windy conditions
  • It starts to wet out faster than I would expect for a new rain coat
  • At $200, this is pricy for the value

I am a fan of Marmot clothing because it frequently offers the best balance of ultralight weight, performance and price.  This jacket pushes the envelope a bit in that it is SO LIGHT that it barely performs its function. I refer to the very-thin fabric that, in a wind, hugs my arms and makes me colder than I would be with my Arc'teryx Alpha SL

If I know it will rain, I will carry the extra weight of the Arc'teryx or perhaps my very-old Marmot Precip.  I am not unhappy with the jacket, but its function is limited to hikes where it MIGHT rain. I would recommend it, but only if you have the $$ to spare for this limited functionality.

$200.00 (men's)

The Marmot Super Mica Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen September 12, 2018 at Moosejaw.

Outdoor Research Equinox Convert Pants Review