Marmot Tarn

rated 5.0 of 5 stars

The Tarn has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best 3-season down sleeping bags for 2021.

photo: Marmot Tarn 3-season down sleeping bag

Price Reviewers Paid: $220.00

Marmot discontinued the Tarn about 3 years ago and replaced it with the Sawtooth. The Tarn is almost identical to the Sawtooth except that the Tarn has a slimmer cut. My guess is the Tarn was too narrow for most, and this is why they changed it. The bag is a basic well made 550 fill goose down three season bag. Good solid construction with no frills (nylon shell). The bag does not have a draft collar (as with other similar 3 season bags), but does cinch up real tight around the face.

When I bought this bag several years ago, I lived in a warmer climate and the winter temperatures didn't get much below the teens. Then with a transfer to Denver I have really tested the bags temp ratings. The 25 F rating is most certainly conservative, I have used it at altitude in the Rockies during 0 F nights without a problem. I can wear my down jacket in the bag if necessary, but typically a thick fleece over long underwear is sufficient. So I would rate this bag closer to a 10 - 15 F rating considering I sleep on the warm side (I have been told by several people most Marmot bags are rated conservatively).

This is a great bag (new Sawtooth) for someone typically sleeping in the 15 - 50 F range and of course you must keep it dry. The bag will stuff down real small, which I like, and has held up well. I have been comfortable in it in a wide range of temperatures (from 0 to 50 F). I have been impressed with Marmot from this bag, and can highly recommend their products.

Design: mummy