Great boots, crappy shoelaces. I was looking for some…

Summary

Great boots, crappy shoelaces.

Pros

• Comfortable right out of the box
  • Waterproof (initially)
  • Great warranty service if needed

Cons

• A little pricey
  • WORST shoelaces of any company (I will explain)

I was looking for some boots to use for our 10-day hiking trip to Philmont scout camp. I had never owned a pair of Merrells because of the high price. They were recommended by the high end outdoor store in my area. I bit the bullet and bought them.

They were GREAT, 10 days on the trail, not one blister. I paired them with some Smartwool socks and liners, and was the only one in our crew who didn't have foot issues.

They stayed waterproof for about a year, and then they started leaking. Merrell customer service was GREAT, replaced the leaking ones with a new pair. I now own six pair of Merrell shoes/boots, never leave for a scout trip w/o them. They are expensive, but well worth it for comfort.

My ONLY dig is they have the absolute worst shoelaces, constantly coming untied. Don't know what it is about the construction of the laces, but new or old, they continually come loose. Even with that issue, they are still my footwear of choice.

Thanks for the review, realdam3! I'm curious, did you try lacing/tying the shoes different ways to see if that made a difference?

1 year ago

was looking for a nice waterproof day hiker / weekend…

Summary

was looking for a nice waterproof day hiker / weekend trip boot. Great looks, good comfort, reputable brand. However, terrible quality, and even worse customer service.

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Lightweight (relatively)

Cons

• Extremely poor build quality
  • Extremely poor customer service from company
  • Unable to wear for two months after purchasing

Bought these from Gander Mountain for use on local hikes and some short 3-4 nighters. Love the look and feel of these—fairly lightweight for a hiker this size, and the waterproof claim is well-earned.

But the praise stops there. Sadly, these boots have been to the shoe repair shop three times. The very first time I pulled them on and pulled the laces tight, one of the sewn lace loops broke. Couldn't properly tighten the laces, so a repair had to be made.

Got the repaired boot back, put them on, then another lace loop broke. Another repair, this time had all the loops reinforced. Finally was able to get them laced properly, and I'll be damned if a rivet on the top lace guide didn't come out. There's still one rivet there, and I'll fix it with some Gorilla Glue. But... for a $125 pair of hikers, I expect better quality.

And Merrell absolutely REFUSED to stand behind their POS product... said they would reimburse me up to $25 for my repair bills. My issue—I wanted a replacement pair. If these loops had broken in the field, I would have been pressed into some redneck engineering, probably not very comfortable.

Shame on you, Merrell. This was an easy, easy problem to fix, and you chose to stick it to me.

Thanks for the review of your Merrells, Tom. That's too bad that they broke repeatedly on you. Do you have any pictures of the boots and their issues you could show others in your review?

Very comfortable and light for mid length boots and…

Summary

Very comfortable and light for mid length boots and comes in wide widths.

• Wide widths
  • Waterproof

Fits well out of the box. Little or no break-in required.

Used it to hike up to Nevada Falls in Yosemite and kept dry even on the Mist Trail.