Merrell Moab 2 Mid Waterproof

Historic Range: $83.99-$145.00
Kids'
Price Current Retail: $69.95-$69.99
Historic Range: $69.95-$69.99

If you have bad ankles and love trail hiking, then here's the shoe for you! After a decade of wearing Merrell Moabs I'd recommend these to anybody who desires quality footwear.

Pros

• Excellent construction and durability
  • Price
  • Ventilation
  • Waterproof

Cons

• Leather will crack if not maintained
  • Challenging to affix gaiter Velcro

I spent 30 years in the military, am very particular of my footwear, and Merrell Moabs have not let me down for the last ten years. After trying several styles of hiking/trail boots I purchased my first pair of Moabs when they became available. I recently just disposed of this pair after the shoe split beyond repair near body and sole.

My other two pair, one being the low quarter version is about 6 years old and, my newest pair almost a year old (purchased to hike the AT). Both pair perform as well as my first pair and do not fall short of my high expectations for comfort, durability, and weight.

As for the waterproof attribute combined with breathability, these shoes are tops. I've worn them in rain, snow, and high heat and never suffered a blister from friction. While the leather may absorb water and take longer to dry out mine never became uncomfortable. As for water repellency, as with any shoe, if you submerge it, it will get waterlogged. One great thing about the Moab is its ability to drain off the water rather rapidly via the mesh.

Traction wise, the Vibram sole lives up to the Vibram Mantra and outperforms most lugged hiking/trail shoes. Be it ice, snow, or mud, the design self-cleans and prevents accumulation thus preventing added weight.

All in all, I highly recommend these shoes, especially for diverse terrains any long trail like the AT. I'd much rather purchase a durable, quality shoe like the Merrill Moab, than purchase a lighter weight shoe which will cost the same and fail several times along a trail like the AT and hope there's nearby a store to replace them, so as to not risk injury to my feet.

5 STARS!

Experience

10 years, 3 pair

Price Paid: Under 100

Thanks for sharing your first gear review with us, Tony!

D Mizelle

I've looked at those many times. Great boots I know because a coworker used them for hiking, tending his horses and at a car dealership where we worked. He always wore Moabs low or mid.

Final Days: Review Your Gear to Win Kora Wool Layers