I'm a walking guide. I bought these boots because…

Materials: Leather, Vibram Sole
Use: Short dayhikes (5-8 hrs), rough trail, light pack
Break-in Period: None
Weight: 1.1kg

I'm a walking guide. I bought these boots because I needed something waterproof, comfortable and durable. In spite of the name (Pulse II WATERPROOF Mid) my pair is most definitely not waterproof. Even walking through wet grass after a light rain, they fill-up with water. On my last walk in dry weather after a rain, I squeezed a quarter cup of water out of each of my socks!
They are also not durable. The toe-cap began peeling after only three walks.

They provide adequate ankle support and are very comfortable but the supplied inner sole compacts very quickly and I had to purchase an alternative inner sole to protect my feet.

I bought these boots on sale at REI and put about…

Materials: nubuck and goretex
Use: long dayhikes and backpacking
Break-in Period: none

I bought these boots on sale at REI and put about fifty miles on them in the first week. The first hike was a nineteen mile loop in Glacier National Park over two passes with a 2400 foot elevation gain and loss and I did not have a sore spot anywhere even with my bunion prone feet. Next came a ten mile up and down day hike in them and then I carried a 32 pound pack almost seven miles in and back to a back country campsite where I did a lot of scrambling and steep dayhiking.

I think the product description underrates their capabilities. I did not fully test their waterproofness but when I accidentally put my foot in a stream briefly water ran off it like a ducks back. I like the lacing system too though I wonder about its durability. My husband's Merrells have the same system, however, and are holding up well after about four years.

Very comfortable and light boot. I experienced no…

Materials: Gore-tex
Use: short day hikes
Break-in Period: None
Weight: < 1

Very comfortable and light boot. I experienced no soreness or fatigue after several 8+ mile hikes. FYI, the sizing runs small. I had to go up a whole size to get the right fit.

The Pulse II Waterproof Mid has been discontinued.

The Merrell Pulse II Waterproof Mid is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 17, 2009 at Sierra.

Congratulations, Bob, Winner of a Hults Bruk Axe