Merrell Men's Stormfront Gore-Tex XCR

rated 4.5 of 5 stars

The Men's Stormfront Gore-Tex XCR has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best trail running shoes for 2021.

photo: Merrell Men's Stormfront Gore-Tex XCR trail running shoe

Price Historic Range: $39.95

Best shoes I have ever owned.

I found this shoe to be very comfortable and very good in overall performance as a shoe. I had an issue with the waterproof abilities which deteriorated very quickly. No explanations were given by Merrell as to how this could happen in a product that features Gore-Tex which purports to be waterproof as a characteristic of the material used.

I found minor seepage shortly after purchase which I felt was insignificant, but within around three months, even moderate to light water resistance was lost and my socks were wet quite quickly in even modest rain.

Typhoons and torrential rains are not uncommon in this part of the world, so this is what I bought the shoes for.

I switched to Chameleon II GTX-xcr's via warranty with no complaints from Merrell (had to pay the extra though) and no receipt (good on them).

I like the Chameleons, but I prefer the lightness and warm-weather breathability much more in the Stormfronts. I wish I had had the confidence to get another pair.

Materials: Gore-tex
Use: all-weather around town, light hiking, moderate bicycle commuting
Break-in Period: minimal
Price Paid: 3200 NT$ (Taiwan)

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All Stormfront Gore-Tex XCR versions

In addition to the 2 men's reviews above, there is 1 review for another version of the Stormfront Gore-Tex XCR. Read all reviews »

Salomon X Ultra 3 Mid GTX Review