Merrell WaterPro Tawas

The WaterPro Tawas has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best water shoes for 2021.

photo: Merrell WaterPro Tawas water shoe

Men's
Price Historic Range: $55.19-$94.99
Women's
Price Historic Range: $49.99-$94.99
Reviewers Paid: $94.50

This shoe fits well and has a good balance. I have no complaints about how it handles water, and the vibram soles provide excellent traction and stability. However - it is uncomfortable! There are too many chafe points on the inside of the shoe. I presume that it's meant to be worn sockless - as it's a water shoe, but there are hard seams and uncomfortable pressure points that become obvious after only minutes of wear. I'm not generally blister prone, but I got blisters after about a mile of walking. With socks I don't have the problem with blisters - but then I lose the prime function of the shoe!

The shoe itself does not provide strong arch support or cushioning - so if you plan to do serious hiking this is not the shoe for you. I tried backpacking with it, and after only 2 miles with a 25-30-lb pack my feet were already fatigued

The best use I can think of for this shoe is a situation where you won't walk much, and will be in water that requires considerable foot protection for short stints - kayaking, or canoeing with no (or very short!) portages.

Materials: synthetic leather, nylon
Use: water activities where you're only on your feet for short periods of time
Break-in Period: didn't seem to break in
Weight: 1 lb, 6 oz.