Mont Slinx LS Zip

photo: Mont Slinx LS Zip base layer top

Weight 280 g
Material Polartec Power Stretch Pro 53% Polyester, 9% Spandex, 38% Nylon

The single most comfortable fleece base or mid-layer around.

Pros

• Very elastic
  • No bulk
  • Incredibly soft on skin

Cons

• A touch heavy

EBC_.jpg

I have to say, I've never been a fan of fleece, but this item changed my mind! Also, there is a distinct lack of Australian brands on this site and I think it's time to rectify that.

The Mont Slinx LS Zip shirt is a long sleeve "polar base-layer" made from Polartec Power Stretch Pro. The cut is very form fitting, but the material moves with you like a second skin. I first tried this garment when on a guiding trip a co-guide (pictured right) took it off, handed it to me, and said "put this on." Of course I did, no questions asked; my world changed that day. It was the MOST comfortable clothing layer I have ever had the pleasure of wearing. I immediately had to know what it was. I obviously purchased it using my sweet guide discount.

Weighing in at 280g in a size medium, this shirt is always in my wet/cold/ or wet AND cold backpacking kit.

Fit and Comfort: Form fitting. Designed as a polar base-layer, I layer it over a merino base-layer, using it as a mid-layer. It will fit snug and move with you like a latex glove. Check sizing chart.

Adjustability: Only has a 1/4 zip at neck.

Water Resistance/Moisture: Brilliant moisture wicking capabilities. One rarely feels wet in this.

Warmth: Moderately warm, like any fleece. A great layer to have when doing lots of activity, as it wicks moisture well.

Layering: Great as a mid or base layer. Size accordingly.

Abrasion: Has a nylon exterior to improve abrasion resistance.

Durability: I can put gear through its paces, and this looks as good as when I bought it. The nylon outer helps it slide when putting other layers on top, and improves the durability. The seams are all cover-stitched to reduce wear and cold spots.

Cool Features: Brushed inner surface is incredibly soft. It also has an antimicrobial/odour resistant treatment which has proven effective.

The Mont Slinx has seen a couple hundred kilometres of trail time at this point, and will be with me on every winter trip and my trip to Nepal in October.

Photo: Enjoying a tea break with the guests—myself in the Slinx (left), fellow guide Braden (right), a bunch of guests milling about (background)
P1070141-2-.jpg

Experience

I used it for half a season guiding and basically every time I go out bush if it's cool enough. I have used this through the last winter season and just returned from a 5-week trip in Nepal and the Himalaya where it received extensive, near daily, use.

Source: bought via a "pro deal"
Price Paid: Approx. $120AUD w/pro deal

Nice review, Josh! Thanks for bringing this company to our attention with a review. We always want to hear about brands and gear that may not be as well known around the world. Thanks!

CoachJoshWood GUIDE/OUTFITTER

Thank you! I use a lot of Mont gear and I think I'd like to start reviewing more of it :)

Excellent!