MontBell Mountain Strider Pants

The Mountain Strider Pants has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best soft shell pants for 2020.

photo: MontBell Mountain Strider Pants soft shell pant

Men's
Price Historic Range: $159.00
Reviewers Paid: $159.00
Women's
Price Historic Range: $159.00

Excellent fabric for a cool (to cold) weather pant. I have a pair of pants made of Schoeller Dynamic from Black Diamond (BDV pants) that I absolutely LOVE, but I was looking for something made of the heavier Dryskin Extreme fabric for cold weather. Dryskin Extreme is heavier, warmer, tougher and more weather resistant. I was looking for a relatively simple design (like the BDVs). I didn't want integral gaiters, extra pockets, etc. Just a basic pant made of this material. These were almost perfect.

In fact, the only thing wrong for me was the fit. They are too tight in the seat/thighs and too big/loose at the ankles. I was able to address the ankle problem by taking them to a local tailor and having the length shortened and the legs pegged a bit so that they fit closer at the ankles. I know that the hip-hugger bell-bottom look is 'in' but it's useless in the back country. I want a loose fit through the thighs and no extra fabric flapping around my ankles where it can get caught in crampons, etc. So, tack on $25 to the price for alterations and I've got almost perfect pants for late fall/winter/early spring.

Other than my disagreement on the overall cut of the pants I have no complaint. They're excellently constructed of top-quality materials at a very competitive price.

Fabric: schoeller dryskin extreme