Montrail Sandia Peak

rated 4.0 of 5 stars

The Sandia Peak has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best hiking boots for 2022.

Price Historic Range: $59.99-$119.95
Reviewers Paid: $68.00-$130.00

I LOVE these boots, enough that I am considering resoling them rather than replacing them.

They have lasted most of a decade, whereas the Merrell Pulse II boots I bought to replace them (when the sole began to delaminate and come off in small pieces) barely lasted one season, just long enough to be off-warranty when they failed. REI will reimburse, but the amount doesn't cover new boots. So I may just resole the old well-loved Montrails.

They fit snugly and comfortably, aren't too heavy, and have good support. If I could find a new pair, I'd snap them right up, but sadly they aren't made anymore...

Materials: nubuck
Use: backpacking and dayhiking
Break-in Period: short

This is a medium-duty boot, and I am on my fifth pair. They have typically lasted about 600 hiking miles for me, with good care. However, I will definitely continue to buy them because I have a very narrow foot, and these boots fit me. I can put on a new pair and hike with very little breaking in. With other boots, the "breaking in" usually referred to my feet, not the boots anyway.

Materials: leather
Use: medium difficulty trails, much with heaby pack
Break-in Period: short