I wasn't planning on buying a new pair of boots for…

I wasn't planning on buying a new pair of boots for a two day Adirondack hike, but since my old ones weighed in at 3 pounds or so, I gave it a go.

The first day I hiked, bouldered, climbed, slid, and mucked my way through 8 hours and 30 minutes with a new knee replacement. The second day it was 10 hours and 35 minutes.

All the other parts of my body knew I had done some serious hiking but my feet loved the boots, and any boots you can hike in new out of the box for that long get a 5 star review. Plus.. they came in half sizes and big half sizes at that... so good for you Montrail, my 20 year old boots have now gone to the back of the closet.

I actually do not own a pair of these, but I do own…

Materials: gore-tex
Use: rough trails with heavy pack and great for rugged terrain.
Break-in Period: Depends

I actually do not own a pair of these, but I do own a pair that is very similar in style (unknown- Montrail). It's a great comfortable fit, sturdy, very durable.

One problem I have with mine is when I am hiking flat rock or boulder terrain it that I do not get the full about of traction. I have often slipped and it forces me to slow down and reevaluate my plan. They are waterproof however. I have stood in a small stream with them on and my feet were completely dry.

I am a believer that it is not the quality of the product that makes the hiker, but the knowledge of the hiker himself. All in all, a decent buy.

The Solitude II has been discontinued.

The Montrail Solitude II is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 3, 2007 at REI.

Katadyn BeFree 0.6L Review