Moonstone is no longer in business, and the 800 Liberty Ridge has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best cold weather down sleeping bags for 2020.

photo: Moonstone 800 Liberty Ridge cold weather down sleeping bag

Price Historic Range: $259.95-$455.00
Reviewers Paid: $230.00-$350.00

Pros:

This is a warm bag. I have used it even it the winter time. One cold winter with the wind blowing I cuddled up in it and sat in a lawn chair all night. The next morning I had frost on the bag but I was warm inside. (sleeping pad, fleece blanket used) I have slept in it on hoar frosted ground with a sleeping pad and stayed comfortable in it. I had a coat on.

Cons:

This is a very noisy bag because of having nylon in the head area. When my ears slide on the nylon it makes plenty of noise. It would be nice to have a flannel head section on the inside. Another thing that bothers me is the zipper. It seems to always be snagging on the nylon when using it. Lastly because down compresses when it is laid on, a pad is necessary for proper insulation underneath. I once used this bag on a summer night that never got below the fifties. I did not use a pad and I was a little chilled all night. the cold came up through the ground.

Finally:

I would not trade this bag in for anything.

Good cold weather bag. It has worked well for me down to about zero degrees. Also kept me warm at Camp Muir this May. Sadly I have not been up the other side of Mt. Rainier for which the bag gets its name.

Anyways I am 5'9" and weigh 175 and the bag has plenty of room for me. It cinches down well in multiple places and thanks to the exterior fabric it stays dry. I like the watch pocket too.

People always bitch about how down gets wet and stays wet, but I live in the Northwest and have yet to get a sleeping bag wet. And because down compacts better and is lighter I like it more than synthetic fills.

I give this bag 4/5 because it is not exceptional, but it does its job well.

Design: mummy