These pants have survived almost 20 years of use and…

Price Paid: do not remember

Summary

These pants have survived almost 20 years of use and still go with me on every day trip or backpack outing.

Pros

• Ripstop Gore tex fabric has been real durable
  • Wind-proof, fairly rain-proof
  • Take on and off without removing boots
  • Two dual velcro adjusters at waist
  • Lightweight and packs small, stuff them into pack

Cons

• Can't think of any

P1000678.jpg
These have been a durable, real good shell pant. Easy to undo the waist when you need to go, easy to adjust for airflow into the pants at any place along the legs. They stuff into the backpack anywhere, use them to soften the load against your back.

These are a shell pant, ripstop with Gore-tex. They are windproof and mostly rainproof. I have never treated them with water repellent, and they still keep out the rain and snow. The waist has some elastic material that has never lost its flexibility.

Waist also has two dual velcro attach points that hold the waist very securely, and allows for some fit adjustment. Each leg has a full length two-way zipper, YKK of course, and also a velcro flap that covers the zipper. There is reinforcing at the knees and seat.

I understand that the original Moonstone is not in business anymore. I hope that someone is making a shell pant as good or better than these Moonstone Shell Pants.

Experience

My wife and I both have these pants. Neither of us has had any problems with them. They go on every day hike and pack trip; meaning they are that functional, that lightweight, and you can rely on them. The photo of me in this review is at Snowbank Mountain in 2019. These pants are still going strong.

We love hearing about gear like this that has held up for decades and is still in use, freedeep!

Hersh Johnson

Moonstone Mountaineering had some great stuff in their day.... sad to see them go away. I have a couple of their sleeping bags still. Thanks for sharing.