Current Retail: $550.00
Historic Range: $247.48-$550.00
Reviewers Paid: $364.00
This is a serious winter parka that’s very well-made. With about 3/4 lb. of extremely high quality/high fill power goose down, it’ll keep you warm.
- Good, comfortable fit with enough extra room to add layers if needed.
- Fully box-baffled construction
- Zippers and fabric seem first rate
- Very effective hood, easy to fine-tune for a close fit
- Side pockets are just the right height
- Tough but light fabric that repels rain, snow, and wind much better than most.
- Side pockets are not fleece lined, but still plenty warm.
- Same sizes among different models can vary a lot.
After suffering a couple of weeks last winter with many minus 15° to 20°F days, I researched, bought, and evaluated most of the leading down jackets and parkas available. Budget limit was around $500. With few American exceptions, eg: Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends, I quickly found that most of the best stuff comes from England.
Mountain Equipment, RAB, and a few others seemed to be among the best. By "best" I mean highest quality down with high fill power, excellent materials and construction, and, most important, warm and comfortable.
Of course, after buying the K7, the weather improved somewhat. But nights remained particularly cold and this parka kept me warm. I don’t climb mountains or go winter camping. I just needed to be comfortable walking around outside doing whatever normal people need to do.
This is my first experience with this company. I’ve had coats from Marmot, The North Face, and Montbell.
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $364