Mountain Equipment Vega Jacket

Decent alpine ascending jacket, but not very warm…

Summary

Decent alpine ascending jacket, but not very warm when sitting in camp.

Pros

• Well designed and made
  • Comfortable to wear
  • Provides good protection from wind and highly water-resistance

Cons

• Seems less down as they stated 235g in the jacket, although mine is size small
  • Not very warm
  • Alpine cut and I can't layer much

This is my first serious down jacket and I have no experience prior to that. I'm expecting a very warm jacket and I feel it's kind of thin when I receive it in mail.

The fit is snug on me. I'm 5'6" and 140 lbs; size small is about the right size for me. Sleeve length is a bit long but the velcro cuffs work well. The hood is huge and it's helmet compatible, I just wish it's smaller. Total windproof and you feel full protection from snow and wind when fully zipped up. I did once wear it in light rain and the DRILITE fabric did a decent job. It didn't soak up the water and the fabric is pretty tough. I do not need to babysit it.

I think this jacket is designed to be worn during ascending for the fast and light approach. I had been using this jacket overnight on Mt. Fuji and trekking in Nepal for ACT and ABC (mainly overnight in lodges). I found this to be not warm enough for inactive use (sitting in camp).

This jacket is in alpine cut, which I could only layer with a thick fleece beneath it.

I mainly use this jacket for city, travel, or winter fast ascents (no camping).

IMG_20171216_104114_HDR.jpg

Welcome to Trailspace, Yen, and thanks for sharing your first review! You're correct that the Vega is intended more for light and fast trips when you're on the move. Out of curiosity, in what temperatures do you find it most comfortable?

300winmag

How about wearing a light WPB parka over it to serve as a windbreaker? The problem you have with your parks is that it is sewn through, leaving cold spots in those sewn seams.

300winmag

I returned a good LL Bean parka much like yours B/C it had sewn through seams. It was $199. on sale. So then for $299. on a 50% off sale I bought an Eddie Bauer PEAK XV totally baffled parka and it has been very satisfactory. The hood is made for over-the-helmet use and the down is DWR treated. I will no longer buy down garments unless the down has some brand of DWR treatment. It's that important to me. All I can recommend is to sell your parka on a backpacking forums website and try to get an Eddie Bauer parka on sale right now. Failing that try for a Patagonia Fitz Roy parka.It's fully baffled like my parka. Even at full price it is an excellent buy.

Bruce Etter

Thanks for the review Yen. I have a feathered friends coat that seems to do the trick. It seems like it may overcome some of the hurdles you noted, though it comes with a steep price tag. Hoping to review it later. Great work!

Yen

Hi Alicia, I think it's comfortable down to -5c(23f), I need to layer more if it gets colder than that but I'm a cold person.

Yen

Eddie Bauer Peak XV is a real bargain for $299USD, Patagonia and FF jackets are also good choices. I did end up with a box wall down jacket in Montane.

Thanks, Yen!

300winmag

Yen, could you do a review of your Montane box baffled parka? I have a friend who is still looking for a -20 F. parka for next winter.

Yes, please let us know how the Montane parka works out for you.