Q&A

Have a question about three-season? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

I did own an MSR 1-person, color red tent (very similar…

Summary

I did own an MSR 1-person, color red tent (very similar to the Carbon Reflex 1 tent), which I gave to a nice kid who was 5 ft. 9 in. tall with a smaller body than my dainty 5'11" and 195 lbs. It is far more pleasant to have more space inside so that you do not feel trapped into a bivy bag configuration.

In the earlier model MSR 1-person, I was camped in a lonely camp area opposite the Taylor River near Middle Fork of Snoqualmie in the late autumn. The small tent was really cramped.

As I was drifting off to sleep, in the silence of the night, I heard the high-pitched "scream" of a cougar just across the river from me, about 50 yards distant. The cougar was lonely...or just wanted "love." My blood supply turned to a thick syrup! Where was the "kitty"? Outside and nearby!

I stared into the blackness but did not see anything, nor hear cat-paws crunching the dry leaves. This was probably the usual 140 lb. kitty that we have in this area. Not a good companion to have in one's camping space. A larger interior of the tent would have made me feel more secure.

Before purchasing these mini-tents, set one up in the store and place a mattress pad and a similar sleeping bag, stretch out on top and see how all of this would really fit your needs and your wallet, too! All things in life are a tradeoff. Please look at a two-person, similar design, which has a packed size about the same as this item. Good luck! Meow!

Hi Howard, any chance you know the model name of this earlier MSR tent you used and reviewed? If so, we can put your review in the right spot.