I'm a 200lb man. These snowshoes give terrific, secure…

Price Paid: $275 CDN

Summary

I'm a 200lb man. These snowshoes give terrific, secure grip on steep forested pitches.

Pros

• Ease of entry and exit
  • Terrific grip
  • Terrific floatation
  • Steady grip on pitches
  • Binding, even though only one strap and ratchet keeps my Snow Junkies secure
  • Televator is easy to flip up and drop with a trekking pole

Cons

• Binding, though can be adjusted laterally for pronators tends to slip out under heavy use.

I love them, save for the caveat mentioned in the cons.

Whether along the fall line or perpendicular to it they float beautifully in deep snow above lurking forest floor debris. Nice to enter, adjust, and exit them.

I've used them in deep open field and deep snowed in open forest. Really nice.

As far as durability, terrific overall except the lateral adjustment on one of the snowshoes. It doesn't really throw me off when it slips, but when the pin shifts out, it's noticeable. I don't know what that would be like in a survival situation.

I've used these Lightning Explores for three winters now.

I'd give them 5 stars if it wasn't for the one con.

Experience

The only snowshoe that I've used. I'm a XC skier mostly.

Thanks for the review of your snowshoes, Gary! If you have any pictures of them, those would be great to see in your review too.

Zalman

Gary, curious as to which size you use, and how much you're carrying in addition to that 200lbs.

300winmag

I have a pair of the ORIGINAL Lightning Ascent 'shoes with the optional tail extensions. I'm a backcountry skier and use climbing skins so I can say with some authority I will only use snowshoes if meh skis are broken or stolen! Snowshoes are just SO much more work than skis with climbing skins. So my advice: LEARN TO SKI XC.