Nevados Holbrook

rated 5.0 of 5 stars

Nevados is no longer in business, and the Holbrook has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best trail shoes for 2023.

I've had them for a year now and they've held up great. Not the best when hiking on rocks but overall a great shoe if you get some cheap insoles.

Break-in Period: 25 miles

I was looking for a hiking shoe light enough and breathable for backpacking in Hawaii, went to a store that had a sale and tried on some shoes. The best feeling pair that looked like they would work out happened to be Nevados Holbrook, and on sale at $19.99 if they didn't work out... oh well.

But, not only did they work out, they were awesome. I went on a 10 mile one way hike from Waipio Valley to Waimanu Valley via the Muliwai trail. Extreme ups and downs over rock, across streams and two rivers, with a 50lb pack. I felt at times like I wasn't up to the task, muscle pains, near cramping etc, but the one thing that was good was my feet.

Hawaii hiking is notorious for testing a shoe, the lava rock will wear down the soles of some shoes immediately, not these ones. I walked through a river, the shoes took the test without feeling soggy, and dried out the next day laying in the sun, with no ill effects. The hike out was a pleasure as well, with the last mile down a steep grade of rocks, and my feet were still not complaining. I found a bargain and wanted to turn others on to it. Enjoy!

Use: Backpacking