NiteCore NU20

rated 4.5 of 5 stars (1)
photo: NiteCore NU20 headlamp

Price Current Retail: $29.95
Reviewers Paid: $350.00

From a brief experience it appears to be as advertised—super…

Summary

From a brief experience it appears to be as advertised—super light, rugged, and of good quality. It functions effectively.

Pros

• Light
  • Simple

Cons

• Had to buy the wide headband to get the ultralight headband.

NU-20-Max-Angle.jpg

NU-20-Shock-Cord-and-Bracket.jpg

NU-20-Switch-Cover.jpg

NU-20-Weight.jpg

INITIAL IMPRESSION NITECORE NU 20 ULTRALIGHT HEADLAMP

This is a brief initial impression of the Nitecore NU 20, as the light arrived just as I was heading out for a night hike.

I found the bracket “tab” that covers the switch to be pretty ingenious. The joint between the light and bracket is firm and will maintain the angle set. It's not going to change accidentally. The tab covers the switch in the straight ahead position, preventing the light from being switched on when it's in my pocket or pack.

The NU 20 arrived almost fully charged. It took about 15 minutes for it to reach full charge when plugged into my car on the way to my hike—Nice.

The UL shock cord “headband” was easy to adjust and comfortable for the two hours spent on the trail.

The beam spread was useful with a center hot spot. Using mostly the “High” setting there was no discernible dimming over the two hours of use at 50 degrees F. The NU 20 claims a six-hour run time on “High”.

Purchased from Litesmith who carries interesting gear for the ultralight and lightweight backpacker.  I paid $35.00 and got the UL shockcord headband you see pictured as well as the regular headband.

Only one negative so far: I see no simple and convenient way to switch to the regular headband without messing up the UL headband.

I am going on a six-day backpack soon and will provide a fuller review following that.

Weight of the light, bracket, and UL headband on my kitchen scale: 31g (1.09 oz.)

Weight of the wide headband: 23g (0.81 oz.)

Experience

I have four headlamps currently, a couple Petzls, a Coast, and the NiteCore. My Black Diamond ReVolt recently bit the dust. I lead night hikes on a regular basis, including through the winter. The lowest night hike temp was 20 deg. F. Never paid more than 50-60 bucks for a light.

Enjoy your upcoming trip, Slow Louis.

Slow Louis

Thanks Alicia! How do I add pictures to the review itself?

1 month ago

Hi Louis. To add pictures, in the full/non-mobile version of the site, go into Edit mode of your review, click the photo icon (looks like a small tree) to insert/edit image at the top of the body of your review. I hope that helps!

1 month ago

Thanks for sharing those pics, Slow Louis.