photo: Osprey Ace 38 overnight pack (35-49l)

Price Current Retail: $109.99-$140.00
Historic Range: $89.95-$140.00
Reviewers Paid: $84.00

This is the scaled down pack I was in search of for…

Price Paid: $84 shipped

Summary

This is the scaled down pack I was in search of for my 7-year-old grandson to introduce him to THE JOYS.

Pros

• All the needed appointments of adult models
  • Torso adjustment 11"-15" for years of use
  • Typical high quality, of course, it's Osprey

Cons

• No trekking pole attatchments
  • The hip belt might benefit from a bit more padding

After a disappointing experience with a kid's Deuter Fox 30 I returned for refund, I was back hunting down the right one for Nyca when I ran into this online. Retail runs $140 and I bought the last one on closeout for $84 shipped. I'm a poor grandpa so I have to hunt the bargains. When it came in a week later I was blissed. This is the real thing and it fits his 11.5" torso now and should get him through 7-10 years of use. He's able to carry his own essential gear at the 10-12 lb. load with ease.

The Deuter Fox 30 was comparable, though 8 liters less capacity and at 38 liters the Osprey Ace has 21% more.  Even though Deuter's website specs and picture stated that it adjusts from 11", it did not. The shortest torso adjustment was 13". I was miffed enough by the misinformation on their own web site that I put in a call to the V.P. of Sales to advise him of the disservice. I do that whenever I end up doing the manufacturer's work for them without being a paid position. There is truth to the rumor that management has retired on the job in America or they're just stupid lazy bastards; I don't know, but when it cost me time and disappointment they hear about it.

No worries though, I ended up with the best for the best grandson in the world, for me.