Osprey Ariel 60

rated 4.0 of 5 stars

The Ariel 60 has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best weekend packs for 2020.

photo: Osprey Ariel 60 weekend pack (50-69l)

Price Historic Range: $80.00-$199.00
Reviewers Paid: $199.00

First of all, I am 5'1" tall and weigh 110 pounds, so I needed a small, lightweight pack. This fit the bill perfectly. I took it on a hiking trip on the Appalachian Trail for four nights, and it performed well.

Of course, I couldn't have taken it if I wanted to do extended camping. I could not fit one more thing into it. I hiked with a friend, who packed the stove and water purifier. I had all of my gear and the tent. My pack weighed 30 pounds with water, so it was a little too heavy for me.

This pack didn't have an integrated bladder, which I would have preferred. I could fit my sleeping bag in the bottom of the pack (barely), and had to take everything out each night since there isn't a separate opening/compartments. This didn't bother me, though. I loved the specifically designed hip belt and ErgoPull strap design.

I am going again this coming week, and have reduced the weight to 25 pounds. Only because it is warmer weather and so I don't need some of the warmer clothes. I recommend it highly for the type of short hikes I like.

Size: 57 L