Weight 2 lb 5 oz / 1.05 kg
Capacity 5700 cu in / 95 L
Height 27 in / 69 cm
Width 18 in / 46 cm
Depth 12 in / 30 cm

Great convertible duffle/backpack. Rain resistant…

Price Paid: $90 (on sale)

Summary

Great convertible duffle/backpack. Rain resistant and bomb-proof. TSA friendly. Check it in!

Pros

• Shrinks to a pouch when not in use
  • Straps can be hidden away
  • Shoulder strap!
  • Capable of overstuffing!
  • Lots of handles
  • Easy to spot if you checked it in
  • It works!
  • Bomb-proof fabric

Cons

• Clunky
  • No waist strap or compression straps
  • No structure to protect against crushing forces
  • Straps not exactly the most comfortable

As an active Scouter with a Pack AND Troop, I camp a lot. I've purchased different bags over the years in an effort to find the perfect bag. Is the Transporter the go-to bag? Not exactly, but pretty close.

When my Troop went to Hawaii at Camp Pupukea, I looked around for a duffle bag that the Scouts could use regularly and was TSA friendly (i.e., lockable). After several trips to REI and beyond, I settled on recommending the Osprey Transporter. Simply put, it works.

You can stuff it. You can even overstuff it. Fair warning though, overstuffing it means that the shoulder strap will hurt and the backpack straps will start to dig in.

It's rain resistant and you don't need a rain cover for short downpours (trust me on this). If it is heavy and sustained rain, you better seek shelter!

The shoulder strap is removable and the backpack straps attach to mounting points. The straps are relatively comfortable but not for daily or continuous use. Carrying it from the airport to the car is fine. Carrying it half a day would be disastrous. There is no waist belt so watch for shifting weight when turning rapidly. Also, the weight is on your shoulders vs. waist.

Did it carry all of the Scout equipment and clothing? Yes. Did the Scouts use all of their clothing on the trip? No. Is there a compartment for clean clothing and used clothing? No. Is the bag TSA lockable? YES.

If you have to fly and you need a gear bag, you won't go wrong with this duffle hybrid! Just don't overstuff because the straps aren't designed for carrying the bag long distances.

• Style points: 6/10
  • Weight: 7/10 (pretty light for the fabric type)
  • Durability 8/10 (great zippers)
  • Bomb-proof: 9/10
  • Comfort: 5/10

Happy Travels!

*I own a lot of bags (and tents). My wife tells everyone that I have a bag fetish. From multiple leather briefcases (Coach, Kenneth Cole, etc.) to Timbuk2 Command Bag, Timbuk2 backpacks (3x), Kelty external frame backpacks, REI 85L Traverse, 25+ year old bombproof Kelty 85L backpack, multiple Osprey bags (from 25L all the way up to Aether 85L plus the Osprey Transporter 65L, 95L), an insane Kelty 110L Redcloud backpack, Eagle Creek travel bags (most recently Load Hauler Expandable and the Gear Warrior 29 for that camping trip to Hawaii). Did I mention the camera bags (!?!)

Nice review, Paul!

Paul Wong

I think I might have goofed. I should have had a review for the Osprey Transporter 95L. Just realized the picture of the pack is wrong.

1 year ago

No problem, Paul. I just moved your review over to the Transporter 95.

Bob Withrow

I have two Transporters. One a carry-on size and the other holds a ton. Haven't had crushing issues at all. In fact, I packed 4 bottles of scotch and a bottle of gin in the big one and checked it at Heathrow. No spills. In fact, I've used it on a few trips and never had issues. It is a little clunky to carry as a pack but nice to have hands free. Also, grabbed a $25 folding hand cart that fits in the lid and have a rolling duffle if I need. Osprey is number one, hands down with packs!