Celitas Design Alpaca Vest

Q&A

Have a question about vests? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

Inca approved and tested! For 8 ounces in XL, and…

Summary

Inca approved and tested!

For 8 ounces in XL, and only fifteen bucks...to me this is a great value.
Search "Celitas Design Alpaca Vest Pullover V Neck alpaca blend made in Peru grey"

Pros

• Insulates and breathes amazingly
  • Earth friendly
  • Simple pullover, NO zippers or buttons to fail

Cons

• Itchy when new, softer after washings
  • Crew neck would be better for me

Updated from original as of today (29 DEC 2017)

Very basic, and very good at temperature regulation. I've been using this as a layering piece in the winter and fall and in the spring and summer while temperatures teeter-totter in cold offices or on wet/cold evenings out running errands or at home relaxing.

The hollow fibers are warmer and lighter than wool which I've tested personally with an almost identical garment in the cool weather (20 deg. F).  Today (4 deg. F) I wore a (silky soft) Baby Alpaca Headband that is from the little alpaca shop and it is toasty for being just a headband.

I plan to use the vest for my next strenuous and sweaty winter hike as follows:

1. Celitas Design Alpaca pullover vest- mid-layer
  2. Arc'teryx Squamish Hoodytop-layer

I'm hoping the combination will function similar to a Patagonia Nano-Air Light Hoody since the Squamish breathes so well. They will be cheaper and able to function as individual components on their own and if needed I'll supplement head insulation with a synthetic Buff (1oz) and synthetic arm warmers (3oz) over/under a synthetic L/S base-layer.

Thanks for the update, Rob!

1 year ago