Cyclone Hydro Reservoir

rated 4.0 of 5 stars
photo:   Cyclone Hydro Reservoir water storage product

Price Reviewers Paid: $19.99

Easy to use. Good price.

Pros

• Price
  • Ease of Use
  • Availability

Cons

• Hard to clean
  • Molds easily

This is/was my first hydration bladder from Wal-Mart. It's easy to fill and works fine, but I found it slightly hard to get clean.

Even following the directions, it still molded while sitting to dry. Not sure what I may have done wrong. I have ended up using a baby bottle brush to clean it really well, but it is kind of a nuisance to do that over and over again.

UPDATE: I have since solved my cleaning problems with this item. I purchased a bottle brush from the Baby Department at the Dollar Store and am able to get inside the bag and really clean it.

HOSE CLEANING TIP: I recently forgot to empty the bladder until about three weeks after a trip and it was filled with Gatorade. The hose had a slime built up inside of it that would not wash out. (There was no way I was going to drink anything out of this again with that hanging in there like snot!)

After some searching, I found some good tips and this actually worked for me. Cut a long piece of paracord that is about an inch longer than the hose. Tie a knot in one end, take the unknotted end and drop it down through the hose until it comes out the other side (this takes some doing but it will go through). Once you have the unknotted end, pull the knotted end through the tube, it grabs the slime and pulls it out. You can do this more than once if you need to, just wash the paracord every time first.

Overall, I would not recommend this as a way to clean it every time you use it, but I think doing in once in a while or when you see something built up in there is a good hygienic idea. It took me approximately 30 minutes to clean the hose but I didn't have to replace the bladder or hose and it saved me that cost.

Christy, I have a variety of reservoirs (CamelBak, Platypus, Hydrapak...). I've never found one that that stays totally clean, but there are some things that can help. If you're putting in anything besides water, make sure it gets really, really clean after use. When drying, disconnect the tube if possible and keep a spoon or hanger or something inside to keep the reservoir open and to let it air dry fully. Then don't put it away until it's fully dry. All that said, I still have to occasionally go through and clean with a bleach solution (rinse well). You can buy cleaning and tube brush kits: https://www.trailspace.com/gear/hydration-accessories/ I find the tube brushes most helpful. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the hose cleaning tips, Christy.