Q&A

Have a question about drinks? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

Medi-Lyte is a low cost electrolyte supplement in…

Summary

Medi-Lyte is a low cost electrolyte supplement in tablet form that allows you to easily manage your electrolyte replacement with your activity level.

Pros

• Simple electrolyte replacement
  • Low cost
  • No sodium or excess sugar
  • Light weight and small packaging

Cons

• Non-coated tablets

This summer I took a different approach in how I went about replacing my electrolytes. Instead of using any one of the many powdered forms that are offered by many of the sport drink manufactures, I decided I would try using an electrolyte supplement from Medique called Medi-Lyte.

YbnVYQGAQlGGwMewd7dcLQ.jpg
I purchased Medi-Lyte off of Amazon and it cost $7.65 for a box of 50 packets where each of the packets contained two uncoated tablets which are consumed like a typical vitamin.

fullsizeoutput_5c82.jpg
Here is the information label from the side of the package that provides information on the ingredients that are contained in each of the packet of two tablets.

fullsizeoutput_5c65.jpg

The total amount of electrolytes from the two tablets in each of the packets is less then what you might find in a typical serving from a sport drink, but the flexibility of being able to match your consumption of the Medi-Lyte tablets with your exertion level helps ensure you're able to get the replacement electrolytes needed.

I kept a supply of the Medical-Lyte packets within one of the pouches on the belt of my backpack which made it easy for me to consume them during the day at a snack or water break. I found this process to work well and especially before starting a long climb like I was doing in the picture below when I was coming off the JMT and climbing out over Bishops Pass from LeConte Canyon earlier this summer.

16ZCLkAoTiWOaBnhajRzsw.jpg
Unlike the typical sport drink, Medi-Lyte contains very little to no sodium or sugar.  For me I get plenty of sodium and sugar from the other snacks and food I bring on a backcountry trip, but for others who may rely on the sodium from a sport drink for replenishment, you would want to take that into consideration if you switched over to using a product like Medi-Lyte.

Overall Med-Lyte has worked very well for me as a way to replenish my electrolytes during my backcountry trips and I plan on continue using it in the future. The only change I will make in the future is to upgrade to the version of Medi-Lyte that has coated tablets compared to the uncoated version I have currently which you need to take using plenty of water.

Thanks for the helpful review and recommendation, Mike!

LoneStranger

Interesting item there Mike. I tend to drink a mixed bottle when I make camp to start the recovery process, but I may try using these during the day to see if I need less recovering :) Certainly lighter than carrying pouches of drink powder.

nuitsblanches

Thanks, interesting product, and seems fairly economical, I'm eager to try it now - i was a bit confused at first read, being used to tablets like Nuun: it wasn't till your last sentence that I realized that you don't let the tablets dissolve in your water bottle/pouch, but just pop 'em down directly, like salt pills. I can see both pros and cons: Pros, you don't have to contend with sometimes dubious tastes in your water, and maybe it would keep containers, hoses etc. a bit cleaner. Cons - well, your water still tastes bland. :-)

Mike Mineart

Thanks everyone for the comments and I made a slight change at the beginning of my review to indicate that the tablets are consumed and not mixed with your water.

FlipNC

Nice review and product Mike. I have avoided supplements that mix just to keep my water bottle cleaner and flavor free, as I use it for measuring cooking water etc as well. This might do the trick for really warm weather trips - I'll have to try some next year as its beginning to cool off now.