Outdoor Products Mess Kit

rated 4.0 of 5 stars (1)
photo: Outdoor Products Mess Kit pot/pan

Price Reviewers Paid: $7.97

This is a good quality mess kit @ a very good price.

Summary

This is a good quality mess kit @ a very good price. Good for use during camping, backpacking, or extended military campaigns. Like so many quality survival items, this mess kit has numerous uses. It can last a lifetime if cared for properly.

Pros

• 100% aluminum
  • Cleans easily
  • Easy storage
  • Good value

Cons

• No stow bag
  • Can burn fingers/hand
  • May impart toxins into food
  • Kinda small
  • May lose nut n bolt

Outdoor Products
Mess Kit 5 piece set includes:

• Frying pan/plate (with removable pan handle)
  • Bowl
  • Pot with lid
  • Cup

Mess kit locks together for easy storage. Lightweight mess kit is great for backpacking. Only weighs 11.2 ounces. Made in China.

This is a "Classic" Girl Scout Mess Kit. Stacks up inside other for storage. Lock it, shut it with handle that rotates to the side 180 degrees to become the handle for the frying pan. It is a good solid mess kit.

Really, it's a cheap mess kit. It's fine for under $10. I would say that it will work on a camp fire but would reduce the life of it because it is made of lightweight aluminum. This is not made of stainless steel which is much heavier in weight. I know after several years over the fire it will warp and discolor. I don't think this mess kit was made to cook over direct open fire, but I have not tried it. I've only cooked over propane.

I have cooked many times using this mess kit over a Gigapower stove. The pans hold up great! I put the flame on full blast to boil water fast and the pot was fine. The boil pot can hold approximately 2 cups of water or more and has a lid to keep heat inside while boiling. The lid has a black knob careful not to burn fingers but the wire handle can tend to become flimsy with liquid inside pot and spill over (use a sock or rag to grab) and careful the black knob handle for the pot will not char over campfire.

IMG_2036.jpg

Pay attention to measurements. I tried to pour a can of Progresso Barley soup 19oz (with a few pieces of left over curry peppers n steak) into the fry pan/plate (calculation: 16.8cm(6.6IN)Diameter x 3.3cm (1.3IN) ... I still had to put the can over a flame to warm everything up completely.

I tried to slice SPAM and warm 4 pieces inside the frying pan and the weight was uneven and the handle needed to be supported so it could sit flat on the Gigapower stove. Cook time was about 4 minutes and not a very good idea to use to fry a lot of food b/c the pan is NOT non stick! Since the SPAM has a lil fatty oils the food did not stick to much to the bottom of the fry pan.

I had to soak the fry pan in water before I scrubbed the burnt debris off the bottom of the pan. Be careful while using the frying pan the handle tends to become very hot and you can easily burn your fingers or hand if you grab the handle.

This mess kit comes with a cup, plastic cup not aluminum. You can use it to measure water for boiling or for flour, coffee, tea, hot cocoa. This cup comes in handy. It is durable enough and lightweight.

This is a nice little kit. Well made and worth the money. I think I will keep mine for use in emergency. All the components were simple to put together and easily stored. I love my mess kit!

Thanks for sharing this review, Billie. This looks just like my first mess kit I used for Girl Scouts.

B. Frost

Thank you!

FromSagetoSnow

We review a lot of hi-tech, expensive gear here and its nice to see that someone still makes basic, affordable gear that works. I especially like the handle on the cook pot that allows you to hang this pot over a fire. I bet that well over 75% of us all have used a kit like this at one time or another.

B. Frost

Thanks Jeff! Im planning on attending a Rei garage sale. They sometimes have discounts on used gear, clothing & footwear. Im in no rush to buy hi-tech but summer is approaching & I may need something a lil better to use for lifetime. I may get the chance to build a campfire to test the pots over fire, let ya know when I do!