Outdoor Products Trekking Pole Set

photo: Outdoor Products Trekking Pole Set antishock trekking pole

Price Reviewers Paid: $20.00
Extends to 4.5 ft

$20 dollar no holler! You can't beat the price for the quality you get.

Planned on hiking on the cheap and picked these things up. After extensive backcountry use and abuse, I am pleasantly surprised. They held up to everything I threw at them. They carried my weight plus 45 pound pack with no problems. I did not experience any failed locks like the others.

All in all, you get what you pay for...

I received these poles as a gift and am glad I did not actually buy them. I was immediately displeased with them once I got them home. At that time one of the end pieces fell off. I then super glued them on both poles.

On my first hike using them I was pleased with how tight the telescopic locking mechanism held. I was able to lift my whole body (pack included) off the ground with out the poles collapsing. That said, once I started using them they kept switching back and forth from shock absorbing to lock out every few feet. This made them very annoying. Then a few miles down the trail the sand/snow cups fell off and I lost them.

Additionally, the metal tips they used must have been made of lead because after a few miles they were mushroomed almost flat.

Price Paid: Gift ($15)

I bought this set to see if I prefer them over my staff. I liked the price. The shock absorbers are a plus. This is a good beginner set.

Pros

• Price
  • Shock absorber

Cons

• Easy to bend
  • Needs cleaning a lot
  • Hard plastic handles

I have never used trekking poles before. I bought this set at WalMart to see if I would like them. They seemed to work OK.

I tried this set out at a prvate college trail system. The handles are hard plastic and after two miles rubbed a hot spot on my hands. They worked good at stream crossing and poorly on slick rock.

A good friend is on his third set of this brand. He likes the price. His last two sets lasted about 60 to 80 miles. Lock failure one time and bent a pole on the A.T.

I had to clean dirt out of mine from the creek and river. The lower section of the pole seems to be a dirt magnet.

Price Paid: under $20

How to Get Outside and Recreate Responsibly this Winter

Hoka TenNine Hike GTX Review

Jetboil MiniMo Cooking System Review

ZJ Sport Epic Medium Wing Paddle Review

Does anyone have plans to build something like this