For just enough lightweight insulation during higher intensity activities like climbing, cycling, running, and hiking, check out the versatile Outdoor Research Deviator Hoody.

Its hybrid mapped construction means you won’t have to stop and restart to adjust and switch up your layers during a range of activities.

The Deviator features Polartec Alpha continuous filament synthetic insulation on the front and side panels to keep your core warm. The breathable Polartec Power Dry High Efficiency grid-fleece fabric on the back, sleeves, and hood lets out heat and moisture. Outside the fabric’s 7-denier face promises quick dry times.

The Deviator Hoody is lightweight at 10.8 ounces, wind-resistant, and compressible to stow away in your pack when things heat up.

men's
Weight 10.7 oz / 304 g avg weight for size L
Center Back Length 27.75 in / 70 cm

Versatile jacket perfect for high energy activities.

Summary

Versatile jacket perfect for high energy activities. Polartec Alpha insulation in the front of the jacket and waffle grid fleece used for the sleeves, hood, and back.

Pros

• Stretchy sleeves and snuggy hood
  • Breathable
  • Great for hiking and running

Cons

• Cost
  • Bottom of jacket hangs a little oddly

I will admit that it was lust at first sight for me and this jacket. The contrast between the rip-stop nylon on the front of the jacket and the waffle knit fleece on the sleeves was really sharp and the reviews were all favorable.

My first impression was that it was incredibly light. My second impression was quickly realized when I tried to zip up, it runs small! Next size up was a much better fit.

I love that the sleeves are long and stretchy with thumb holes and plenty of material for me to pull down over my hands when chilly. The hood is comfortable and has just enough elastic on the edge so that is fits snugly around my face. The side pockets are roomy but not zippered. There is one chest pocket that does have a zipper. The bottom hem of the jacket can be adjusted with a cord located in the pockets.

This jacket has been great for spring hiking and running in New England. The Polartec kept my core warm and the waffle fleece let my arms and back breath. I'll be using the jacket for a mid-layer this winter and I expect that it will perform well in that role also.

Thanks for sharing this review, Lizbeth. I also like the looks of the Deviator. I hope you'll keep us posted on how well it works out this winter.

Lizbeth K. Estes

Six months later...This has been my go to jacket for running. The insulation contrasts have been perfect for my needs (keeping my core warm and extremities cool). My only disappointment is that it has no anti stink properties. A couple of runs and it needs a wash.

Thanks for the update, Lizbeth.

Extremely light for warmth, highly breathable. Very…

Summary

Extremely light for warmth, highly breathable. Very versatile use, from hiking to climbing to biking to skiing. A great light outer layer or warm mid-layer. An athletic fit.

Pros

• Light
  • Warm
  • Stretchy and comfortable
  • Versatile

Cons

• Can be tight with a long-sleeve first layer

A must-have for light, flexible, versatile insulation. Moves moisture away from your body while keeping you toasty on early morning bike rides. A great mid-layer under a waterproof shell. A tight, athletic fit.

Welcome to Trailspace, Patrick. Do you have any pictures of your Deviator you could share in your review?

Patrick Schuler

I can take a picture later today, Alicia. Thanks for asking--

Thanks, Patrick!