Outdoor Research Ferrosi Shorts

Historic Range: $31.03-$75.00
Reviewers Paid: $35.00-$50.00
Inseams 7", 10", 12"
Weight 7.6 oz / 214 g 7.7 oz / 218 g 7.75 o z /219 g
Fabric bluesign approved 86% Nylon (46% Recycled), 14% Spandex 90D Stretch Woven Ripstop
Women's
5" 7" 9" 12"
Price Current Retail: $45.47-$70.00
Historic Range: $12.99-$79.00
Reviewers Paid: $70.00
Inseams 5", 7", 9", 12"
Weight 6.65 oz / 188 g 5.5 oz / 155g 9.4 oz / 266 g 7.45 oz / 211 g

Version reviewed: 10"

Super comfortable, stretchy shorts that dry fast. Ferrosi fabric is durable but not bomb-proof.

• Functional
  • Stretchy
  • Not binding
  • Different lengths/colors
  • Dry fast

Cons

• Waist sizing is a little off
  • So-So durability

I'm a big Outdoor Research fan as much for their gear as their awesome customer service. I'm now on my second pair of OR Ferrosi Shorts and feel I've gotten my money's worth.

These are made with the same material used for the Ferrosi Jacket, so they're designed to offer great stretch, a quick dry, breathability and some durability. If you've purchased OR you know the sizing can be a little hit and miss. I've needed to size up or down with quite a few things. With these I would suggest sizing down. Not only because of how they fit new but the waist tends to stretch out a bit. There's ample room in the leg opening but a belt might be necessary for some.

There are five pockets: two in back without a button, snap, or velcro (which I think is a mistake with shorts), two front pockets with a mesh lining and decent depth, and a vertical zip pocket on one leg. Perfect for maps but not much else given where it's positioned and its size. The zipper on the fly is excellent.

These are breathable enough for hot weather hiking but the material does have a little weight to it if you find yourself rolling around on granite. They come in three separate sizes, 7", 10" and a 12" and are offered in a five or six colors.

Overall I've found these to be very comfortable and functional while being something you can wear in town without looking really techy although they wrinkle pretty easily. I am a little disappointed in the long-term durability. I've developed two small holes in the butt from, obviously, nothing more than sitting in the dirt and on rock. I guess it's a tradeoff for the breathability but I would have expected them to last a little longer before starting to break down. They're still functional but this, their fourth season, will be their last.

EDIT: After writing this I went to the OR site and it appears they've done a makeover with the shorts. The 7" now includes a built-in belt (nice touch) but they've changed the leg pocket to vertical and have included a drawstring on the 10" and 12." They've also raised the price to $75 on their site. I'd look elsewhere at the price. On sale under $50? I think you'll get your money's worth.

Outdoor Research Ferrosi Shorts - 10"

Thanks for a helpful review of these shorts, TJ. Do you think you'll replace them with one of the updated models?

T.J.

I actually think I will. Pretty sure I'll grab them on sale though. :)

The most comfortable, versatile hiking shorts I own!

Pros

• Comfort
  • Fit
  • Breathability
  • Flexibility

Cons

• Length

I love these shorts! They are comfortable, lightweight, breathable, and look great on the trail! I've even had hikers stop me as we pass one another to ask where to get a pair for themselves.

OR uses a combination of spandex and ripstop material in the construction of these soft shell shorts. As a result, they are durable, lightweight, and flexible. The material wicks moisture away. Wearing my Ferrosis, I've often dipped into trailside swimming holes on hot summer days, and after I've rejoined the path to continue on my hike, the material has dried quickly with no chaffing.

The use of spandex in the design ensures that my range of movement is unrestricted, which is especially helpful on steep terrain. Other hiking shorts I've worn seem to be either durable or flexible, but OR has mastered both with the Ferrosi. The shorts also keep their shape well and stay in place throughout your adventure.

When selecting a size, I'd suggest going with something on the lower end of what you normally wear. Due to the flexibility of the material, the shorts are form-fitting without feeling restrictive.

I like the length of these, but they are a bit longer than the shorts I usually wear. I would love to see OR come out with a shorter length option. I would certainly be a customer!

By far the most comfortable hiking shorts I have ever worn.

Pros

• 4-way stretch material
  • Perfect length
  • Fast drying
  • Multi sport capable

Cons

• Fabric can pill in high friction areas

I live and hike in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and have worn these on every trip this summer. The 4-way stretch material allows for full range of motion and is also very comfortable against my skin. It also drys quickly after a rain storm and does not feel clammy on humid days. The shorts go to the tops of the knee which I find to be the perfect length.

When deciding what to wear during a triathlon that consisted of biking (both on road and single track) followed by swimming, and finishing with a hike up Cannon Mountain I chose these shorts. They did not chaff during the bike ride, performed perfectly as a swim suit, and dried quickly and kept me cool during the hike.

My wife has the women's version and she feels the same way about her pair. These really are the perfect shorts.

The only con is that the fabric may pill in high use areas. This does not impact the quality at all and did not lead me to reduce the rating.

Source: bought via a "pro deal"

Swiftwick Flite XT Trail Review

Mystery Ranch Forager Hip Pack Review

Salomon Supercross GTX Review

Nittany Mountain Works Cordura Ditty Bag Review

Osprey Stratos 34 Review

Hennessy Hammock HH2O AutoMagic Water Collector & Rainfly Tensioner System Review