NOTE: these are bibs, not pants and not a one-piece…

Fabric: Gore-Tex XCR Laminate t
Fill: none - uninsulated

NOTE: these are bibs, not pants and not a one-piece suit.

After a rainy day of riding the lifts skiing (was supposed to be 3-8 inches of new snow, but it was rain for four hours instead), and my inexpensive insulated bibs getting thoroughly soaked (your thighs are horizontal when you're sitting on a ski lift, and unless your pants/bibs are waterproof they'll act like a sponge when rain hits them) I went home and ordered a pair of these. I decided I won't wear anything less that waterproof pants when downhill skiing any more.

These things just scream well-made (and well-designed) when you're wearing them. Patagonia got all the small details right when they designed these, coated zippers for waterproofness; zips that go all the way up each side, so you can open and slide the bibs on or off without taking off your ski boots (very handy); simple, functional internal gaiters; stretch material in the midsection, adjustable suspenders, nice pocket placement on the belly and both outside thighs; anatomical contour around the knees.

The only thing I maybe wanted that was not designed in was insulation. Previous (very cheap, $45 at REI) bibs were insulated (and very bulky as a result), and so I got used to not wearing any insulation layer below the waist. With the Six-Chuter Bibs, I also got some Patagonia R1 pants, and they work well layered together. I also started to wear a second fleece layer as thick as the R1 pants, but underneath them. I think this combination is the equivalent of the previous bulky bibs.

The Six Chuter Bibs has been discontinued.

The Patagonia Six Chuter Bibs is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen sometime before 2006 at Patagonia.com.

Katadyn BeFree 0.6L Review