Patagonia Six Chuter Bibs

The Six Chuter Bibs has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best snowsport pants for 2021.

photo: Patagonia Six Chuter Bibs snowsport pant

Price Historic Range: $399.00
Reviewers Paid: $399.00

NOTE: These are bibs, not pants and not a one-piece suit.

After a rainy day of riding the lifts skiing (was supposed to be 3-8 inches of new snow, but it was rain for four hours instead), and my inexpensive insulated bibs getting thoroughly soaked (your thighs are horizontal when you're sitting on a ski lift, and unless your pants/bibs are waterproof they'll act like a sponge when rain hits them) I went home and ordered a pair of these. I decided I won't wear anything less that waterproof pants when downhill skiing any more.

These things just scream well-made (and well-designed) when you're wearing them. Patagonia got all the small details right when they designed these—coated zippers for waterproofness; zips that go all the way up each side, so you can open and slide the bibs on or off without taking off your ski boots (very handy); simple, functional internal gaiters; stretch material in the midsection, adjustable suspenders, nice pocket placement on the belly and both outside thighs; anatomical contour around the knees.

The only thing I maybe wanted that was not designed in was insulation. Previous (very cheap, $45 at REI) bibs were insulated (and very bulky as a result), and so I got used to not wearing any insulation layer below the waist. With the Six-Chuter Bibs, I also got some Patagonia R1 Pants, and they work well layered together. I also started to wear a second fleece layer as thick as the R1 Pants, but underneath them. I think this combination is the equivalent of the previous bulky bibs.

Fabric: Gore-Tex XCR Laminate