Peak Performance Frost Down Long Hooded Jacket

Q&A

Have a question about down insulated? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

This long winter jacket combines duck down insulation…

Price Paid: 200 cad

Summary

This long winter jacket combines duck down insulation to keep you feeling snug inside. Even with its coziness, however it's made big for a medium size.

Pros

• Warm
  • Long
  • Lots of pockets
  • Hand warmers
  • Quality construction

Cons

• Heavy
  • Hood not helmet compatible
  • Small pocket zippers

DSC00844.jpg
I bought this jacket for alpine skiing a few years back, because we had a cold winter and I wanted to acquire a warmer jacket. So I pick up this one because it was long enough to cover my lower back. It was also on sale at 70% off, probably because of the flash lime colors!

I usually wear a base layer and a polar under, and when it get really cold I can easily add up another layer. So this said you can imagine that it's made big! I usually wear medium, but this one is a enormous medium, so I could have downsize to a small (I'm 6ft and 155 pounds).

It has an inside skirt, that can be remove with a zipper. It has 6 pockets—2 hands, 2 chest, 1 right arm, and 1 inside mesh. Integrated hand warmer at the end of the sleeves and Velcro adjustable cuffs. Chin cover with a comfy fleece lining. Outside fabric is great and it's insulation: Duck Down 90/10, 700 fill power.
DSC00842.jpg
The are few drawbacks: first is that I cannot wear my hood over my ski helmet, and it rubs on the back of my head when I rotate. Oh, this is a heavy jacket. I saw that the new version is made of Pertex, so probably lighter. The pocket zippers are small and cannot be manage with gloves.

DSC00843.jpg

Detail from Peak Performance:

MEN'S PERTEX FROST DOWN LONG HOODED JACKET

$450cad

This longer winter jacket combines duck down insulation with a Pertex shell to keep you feeling snug inside. Even with its coziness, it's still light enough in weight to pack down any time you are traveling.

Experience

Skiing and walking around when it's very cold out.

Thanks for the review, Martin!

1 month ago