Petzl Hirundos

photo: Petzl Hirundos sit harness

Price MSRP: $79.95
Current Retail: $69.98-$99.95
Historic Range: $24.93-$99.95

This is a fantastic, extremely light, comfortable harness. Targeted originally for high end sport climbing (and still used for that), it has also gained popularity as an alpine harness, which is what I use it for in addition to all-day trad rock.

Despite the absence of adjustable leg loops (which would increase the weight anyways), I find it works very well for any and all types of climbing. Petzl wisely put ice-clipper slots on the waist belt in anticipating the needs of the alpine/ice climber. As always with Petzl, the quality and construction is outstanding. I particularly love the simplicity of this harness...the buckle is of the single-pull, no-need-to-thread-back type....as such, I put on the harness, tighten the fit, and there is nothing else to think about (except of course tying in properly).

My only reason for 4.5 stars vs. 5 are: a) ice clipper slot on one side is positioned awkwardly, i.e. too far back, and b) I really wish Petzl would start putting a haul loop on the backs of their harnesses. Zip line/tag line/haul line use is pretty common (except of course in sport climbing), and the presence of a narrow spectra haul loop would increase cost and weight slightly, but significantly increase utility in my opinion.

Regardless, I highly recommend this harness - you won't be disappointed.

Price Paid: $75 CDN