Current Retail: $136.00-$169.95
Historic Range: $85.00-$169.95
Works best with flexible rope, the Stop locks down…
Source: received it as a personal gift
Works best with flexible rope, the Stop locks down on the rope if your hand comes off the lever. Safe device with a long history of use in Europe for caving.
- Stops when your hand comes off the device
- Easy to thread the rope while device is attached to the harness.
- Stiff 11mm ropes are a problem
- You must hold down the lever, which can cause fatigue on long raps
- Skinny ropes may need an additional brake carabiner
I used the Stop in Europe to descend various caves over the course of a month. It is a good device, and allows for a free hand to clip into a belay station on rappel. This is very nice since the ropes in Europe are generally re-anchored multiple times on a rappel.
It is also fairly compact and lightweight compared to a stainless rappel rack. Unfortunately, I don't get to use it much, as most U.S. caving ropes are stiff and don't work well in the device.
Tip: Make sure to close the device for storage or while caving so you don't accidentally bend the cover plate.