Princeton Tec Eco Flare

photo: Princeton Tec Eco Flare flare

Price Current Retail: $14.95
Historic Range: $0.99-$19.19
Reviewers Paid: $9.00

What a little hunk of junk. I own a number of Princeton Tec lights and have even written a glowing review of the Impact XL, but don’t buy this light. The first one I bought had a cracked lens right out of the packaging. Returned it to Princeton Tec and they sent me another one. Same problem.

Talked to a customer service rep and he sent me two new lenses. I cast a hex shaped epoxy ring around the base of one of the lenses (did I mention that the lens is almost impossible to turn when your hands are dry and is absolutely impossible to turn with wet hands), and cured the cracking and grip problem on that particular lens.

The rep admitted to me that they had done a recall on this light for the cracking problem and the lenses he sent to me were supposed to be improved by having additional material in the thread area. Measurements made with a dial micrometer showed that the “new” lenses were exactly the same to 0.001” as the “old” lenses. If you need a flashing red marker light – buy a Pelican light.

It gets ½ a star because it can be made to work if you have the time, material and initiative.

Price Paid: $9 and change