Rab Gore-Tex Infinity Down Jacket

photo: Rab Gore-Tex Infinity Down Jacket down insulated jacket

The Gore-Tex Infinity Down Jacket replaced the Rab Infinity Endurance Jacket.

Price MSRP: $525.00
Current Retail: $525.00
Historic Range: $311.27-$525.00
Weight 715 g / 25.2 oz
Fit Regular
Insulation 800FP R.D.S. Certified European Goose Down:,250g / 8.8oz in size L
Outer Fabric GORE-TEX INFINIUM WINDSTOPPER:,13D x 13D 45g/m² nylon ripstop with ePTFE membrane
Fabric Inner Atmos:,10dx10d 28 g/m² nylon

This coat’s very warm, windproof, and highly water resistant. Also quite comfortable and good fitting.

Pros

• Extremely high quality 800 fill power goose down provides a ton of warmth without much bulk
  • Good fit and comfortable
  • Excellent hood.
  • Appears to be well constructed.
  • Good overall length, covers your butt.

Cons

• UK style left hand zipper
  • Hand warmer pockets aren’t lined with fleece
  • Expensive at full retail price
  • Sizing can be tricky. Start one size up.

I wanted a very warm jacket for horribly cold, windy New England weather while walking the dog or just daily wear. RAB calls the Infinity a belay jacket; something you wear after you’ve reached the summit or are on belay for a long period. If these folks get cold, they die. So I figured the Infinity would be good enough for me.

I’ve only had it a short time, but I’ve been out in frigid temperatures with rain and sleet and stayed quite comfortable. The Gore Tex fabric shell resists wind very well, but is a different type than the fabric used for rain gear. Still, water beads up and it dries fast. The down is also treated to be waterproof should you get stuck in a downpour. The hood is exceptionally well designed and easy to adjust to your particular face.

The Infinity isn’t cheap and I wouldn’t have paid $525. But Amazon had a “used” one for $152 so I decided to try it. It was most likely just returned and unworn because it was in perfect condition.

NOTE: Many of the photos I’ve seen of this jacket on Trail Space are of different products. Look on Rab’s site to be sure.

Experience

I’ve owned many down coats and this ranks among the best. Not as much down as my Mountain Equipment K7, but much more versatile. I like to hike and walk in all conditions, but I don’t ice climb or go winter camping.

Source: bought it used