Rab Latok Alpine Gaiter

The Latok Alpine Gaiter has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best gaiters for 2022.

photo: Rab Latok Alpine Gaiter gaiter

Unisex
Price Historic Range: $20.77-$80.00
Women's
Price Historic Range: $32.99-$79.95

They are easy to adjust, highly breathable and make no noise when frozen. Front hook is hard to attach with gloves on.. :-(

Pros

• Breathability
  • Light

Cons

• Front hook has to go under the shoelaces

The only problem I have with them is the front hook. When taking them on in deep snow or heavy frost it becomes a problem that I have to take my gloves off to put the gaiters on. Taking the gaiters off after a winter hike can also be tricky due to the hook going under the shoe laces.

I have tested/use them here in Greenland during our winters and have used them at - 42°C without any problems other than the front hook "problem."

Breathable with fast and solid closing system but...

Pros

• Smart closing system
  • Breathable

Cons

• Broken front hook strap

These gaiters are breathable and easy to put in with a simple and reliable closing system: no zipper, just a strong velcro band. The front hook going below the laces is a feature I actually like. They are also comfortable to wear and adjustable.

However, at first use I had one problem: the front hook of one gaiter ripped off. It's true the terrain I used them had vegetation above and below the unconsolidated snow, and my feet regularly sunk in that snow for many hours (even with the snowshoes).

In the end I discovered the front hook caught in the laces (luckily, because of the reverse hook), but the hook strap was missing.

I like these gaiters and I will repair them. Hopefully doesn't happen again, even if I understand that with such terrain with hidden vegetation you can expect that.

Brooks Cascadia 16 Review