Can't say enough about this shirt. Its UV protection…

Summary

Can't say enough about this shirt. Its UV protection and comfortable, lightweight, and quick drying fabric make this an awesome choice for activities in a variety of climates.

Pros

• Quick drying
  • Versatile
  • UV protection
  • Layerable

Cons

• Sizing, short in torso
  • Short button down neck

Fit & Comfort:

I love this shirt! Does it make you look like a pilgrim? Yes, but's its a great shirt nonetheless. It is lightweight, comfortable and it dries quickly—making it ideal for multi-day trips in the backcountry.

The fabric will get stiff as sweat dries, but that's to be expected and nothing a quick rinse in a stream can't fix. After heavy use you'll start to get some friction under the armpits, especially if you're wearing this shirt with a backpack.

I found the torso to be a bit short, so if you want more fabric to work with for a hip belt or for tucking in, consider that the torso runs short before purchasing. After using this shirt heavily for a year, I tried RailRiders Oasis Shirt, it is very, very similar but has a collar, a longer torso, chest pockets and is a little lighter... and it doesn't make you like a pilgrim (yay).

So because I found a similar shirt that suits my needs just a little bit better, this "Adventure Top" gets 4.5 stars, not 5.

Adjustability:

There is little room for adjustment on this shirt—so getting the right size is important. You can cuff your sleeves, but that's about it.

Breathability & Water Resistance:

The side mesh panels down the underarm, torso, and back cape vent are awesome for allowing air movement. Sweat doesn't last long on this fabric, unless you're wearing a pack. If you do use this shirt for backpacking eventually after extremely heavy use, the salt from your sweat will begin to corrode the fabric where your pack touches your back.

On hot days I found myself wishing the button-down neck went just an inch or two lower, so I could increase airflow for my chest and neck.

Construction, Durability & Conditions:

It can take heavy wear and tear. I wore this for all of my outdoor adventures for one year, in the dessert, High Sierra, and Hawaii, and it held up great and never caused issues.

IMG-2645.jpg
IMG-4646.jpg

Experience

I used this shirt for hiking and backpacking in Arizona, California, Hawaii, Washington, New Hampshire, New York, and Vermont in the spring, summer, and fall. It never let me down.

Great review, Christine! Thanks for taking the time to share it.

Jo Jo Morrison

I've looked at that shirt. And I generally like RR's products. But I didn't bite because it does not have an antimicrobial woven into it (as do Patagonia's Daily Wear shirts that I use). How was the "stink" factor on this shirt after about 5 days?

_Christine

Hi Jo Jo, great question. This shirt does get smelly, absolutely. No more than I would expect for a week-long trip with no town visits, but yes it certainly can hold onto some scents.

_Christine

(Hit enter early sorry)... But if there are streams to rinse it off in, that dramatically reduces the smell. For me it is really the stiffness that indicates when it needs a wash - bc the salt rubbing against my skin is more of a problem for me than the smell. (Also - my "smell standards" aren't very high for multi-night trips.)

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All Adventure Top versions

In addition to the 1 women's review above, there are 2 reviews for other versions of the Adventure Top. Read all reviews »