REI Camp Bed Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad

rated 4.0 of 5 stars (1)
photo: REI Camp Bed Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad self-inflating sleeping pad

Price Current Retail: $99.95
Historic Range: $99.95-$119.00

Generously thick and comfy for a foam/air sleeping…

Summary

Generously thick and comfy for a foam/air sleeping pad, great for car camping or luxurious motorcycle camping if you have space to spare, too big and heavy for much else. But if it's a short hike, the extra weight might just be worth the supreme camping comfort it provides.

Pros

• Comfy
  • Insulates from ground well, much better than thinner models
  • If it does spring a leak it offers a fair amount of comfort and insulation even without inflation.

Cons

• Bulky
  • Heavy
  • All inflatables depend on their fragile ability to effectively contain air.

Though its 2.5" of thickness weighs in at about 5 lbs. hefty, the REI Camp Bed is the most comfortable of the foam self inflatables I've ever owned by far. It's also the thickest and heaviest of this kind I've owned by a good measure. Even though it is a bit bigger than more compact backpacking models, I make room for it on my motorcycle camping adventures because after years of beating up my body, ensuring I sleep comfortably provides unequaled quality of life returns the next day.

Sure, there's room for even bulkier beds that consume the whole trunk if you're car camping, but this is a winner for me. I prefer it by long shot to bulkier, thicker, less insulated vinyl pump-up air beds. It's lighter, more compact, and more comfortable. An airbed looks more like a bed, but they feel awful and offer less support and insulation in comparison. I abhor air beds. They are imposter frauds! Though narrower and thinner, I'd much rather sleep on one of these if I need a temporary bed.

While the skinnier, far more lightweight backpacking pads are great for saving space and weight, let's face it, after a few nights, we dream of more comfort. This thing provides. Ultimately it's a compromise, as are most things in life, but a worthy one for my purposes. Sleep well!

Experience

I've used this for years on car camping, motorcycle, and short hike camping trips. I've experienced countless makes and models of camp pads and beds, self inflating and not self inflating, compact and bulky pads, egg carton style z-rest foam pads, air beds, futons, not inflating foam, hay bales, pine needles, my luggage, dirt, park benches, even concrete and cardboard—I've slept around, and I still like this bed a lot.

Welcome to Trailspace, josephus!

Out for Testing

The REI Camp Bed Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad is out for testing and review!

Members of Trailspace's Review Corps product-testing program are currently testing the REI Camp Bed Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad. Stay tuned for reviews of this self-inflating sleeping pad from .

Do you have questions about the REI Camp Bed Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad?
Send them to reviewcorps@trailspace.com and we'll do our best to address them in our upcoming review.