REI Half Dome 1 Plus Tent

Q&A

Have a question about three-season? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

I got the 2018 version of this tent for Christmas.

Price Paid: $179 USD

Summary

I got the 2018 version of this tent for Christmas. And have spent 10 nights in it so far. It is a well made three-season tent, with a lot of space for a solo tent.

Pros

• Quick, easy setup
  • Decent pack weight
  • Great ventilation
  • Durable materials
  • Lots of interior space
  • Huge vestibule
  • Price!

Cons

• Only comes with 7 stakes, but needs 11 stakes to guy out.
  • Fly is cut a bit short
  • Hard to get a tight pitch on the fly

The plus stands for more room. The new version of this tent now has a DAC pole hub and a reconfigured vestibule. The tear drop door opens wide and there is a pocket in the ceiling to stash the door out of your way for great access to the inside of the tent. There is a pocket each side of the door and two ceiling pockets for organization. And loops in the ceiling to string Paracord for a clothes line for drying clothes.

Set up quick and easy with DAC pole and hub and clips. The fly pitches easy but is hard to get a tight pitch on the fly. Two roof vents on the fly provide great ventilation. With no noticeable condensation even during two nights in the low teens the tent stayed dry inside through three nights of steady rain and one full day of rain.

One night I had wind gusting to 20 MPH and the fly was a bit loud and I was glad I had guyed out the fly. But the tent stayed put. The vestibule is big (11.75 sf). It swallowed my 60 litter pack and boots and still had room to brew up morning coffee while still in my sleeping bag.

So far I'm happy with this tent. I'll give a update next year.

Heres are a few pics:

With the fly off, lots of mesh
image.jpg

Fly on closed up tight guyed out
image.jpg
The fly in half open position
image.jpg
The fly in full open position
image.jpg

Welcome to Trailspace and thanks for the review of your Half Dome, Bobsdock!

300winmag

Once again a company puts out a tent with a VERY dated fly system. Imagine it's starting to rain as you stop to set up camp. As you unpack rain begins to lightly fall but you can see heavy rain heading toward you. You hurriedly set up your Half Dome inner tent and poles just as the downpour begins in earnest. As the inner tent is totally soaked you FINALLY are able to throw why fly over the erected inner tent but too late to keep it (and the floor) from getting soaked. MY POINT: If a double wall tent (like the half Dome and several MSR tents) cannot be set up with the inner tent already attached to the inside of the fly BEFORE the poled go on then keep looking for another tent. 'Nuff sed...

cozrocks

300Winmag, not all of us have unlimited funds to spend on recreational gear such as the more expensive tents with the attached inner tents. It's obvious that you don't approve of the tents with an external fly, however you condescending comments have nothing to do with Bobsdock's review of the tent or your experience with it. In the 8 years I have been following Trailspace I have never seen a member dismiss someone else's choice of gear with such cavalier superiority. What a shame.

Jeffrey Willett

@300winmag - looks to me like you could set the fly and footprint 1st, then attach the tent under the fly.

Bobsdock

Alicia macleay thank you I'm glad to be here.

Bobsdock

300winmag at the risk of dating myself, I've used this VERY outdated fly system seince they where new. So far so good.

Bobsdock

Cozrocks, thank you very much for taking up for me !

Bobsdock

Jeffrey willett, yes sir you can pitch the poles footprint and fly first and then attach the iner tent. Not a perfect system but it works.

300winmag

cozrocks, Sorry if my tirade about this type of tent design sounded ""dismissive" or "cavalier" as it certainly was not meant to be. And yes, I recognize it was a tirade. The problem is that probably 3/4 of the tents on the market are like this and Sierra Designs, to my knowledge, makes ALL their tents like this when it likely would not cost much more, if any, to make them "poles last" in setup design. And my question is WHY? Otherwise the Half Dome is a nice tent with REI's typical good quality and design. I have had REI brand UL packs and eVent clothing and currently both their 3 season FLASH Insulated air mattress and All season FLASH mattress. As I began to read this I was interested in telling a friend about the Half Dome - of course until I understood its setup design.