REI Shasta +15

rated 2.0 of 5 stars

The Shasta +15 has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best 3-season synthetic sleeping bags for 2021.

photo: REI Shasta +15 3-season synthetic sleeping bag

Price Historic Range: $79.83
Reviewers Paid: $25.00

Though the bag is made of quality materials, it does not pack down well and lets out heat around the collar.

Pros

• Spacious
  • Well constructed

Cons

• Does not pack down well (bulky)
  • Lets out warm air through collar

The bag is a decent car camping summer bag but does not do well in cooler weather. I tested it last night (low 36°F). Since the bag had a 15° rating, I figured comfort rating would be somewhere around 30°.

I cinched the hood and collar until there was only a 4" diameter circle. There's not really a collar to cinch. The draft tube extends from the side of the bag in one continuous run that goes across the front of the bag under the neck. It's a small tube and the collar does not draw from behind the neck to cinch all the way around.

I suppose if you put your whole head through the hole and cinch down the hood, it would tighten around your neck but this would leave your head exposed. In any case, I froze. I cashed in the chips at 3 a.m. and went into my house.

Warmth: My body was warm but it all went out the top.

Fit and comfort: It is comfortable.

Entry and exit: Good

Moisture: N/A

Packability: Really large even when in its compression sack. Approx 12" X 18"

Loft: Lofty

Ease of use: All parts are functional and easy to use.

Features: Zip pocket, pillow sleeve in hood

Construction and Durability: Made of strong materials.

Conditions: I bought it used but like new. Used it at home one time to test it out before bringing it into the field.

Source: bought it used

Too bad it didn't work out. What do you personally do with a bag like this that isn't warm enough?

DrPhun

If there isn't a draft tube at the neck and I am getting a draft, I make one by rolling up a t shirt or a fleece and draping it over my neck. Another option is to tighten up the hood until it leaves a hole just big enough for my mouth and nose to poke out. When it is 4am and you feel a chill, you do what you have to.

Go Time! (Jesse Maloney) BRAND REP

Alicia, if a bag like this doesn't work, I flip it online with a link to a website that includes reviews. That way, the person can weigh out their options. Since I find the items at such reduced prices, I always price it really low so the buyer doesn't assume much risk. One person's pass along is another person's treasure. That's how I get all my treasure!

Go Time! (Jesse Maloney) BRAND REP

Dr. Phun, thanks for the tip. I will try the fleece around the neck. Sometimes such great ideas go overlooked. That's why I love this site. I often pull them strings tight. Sometimes when the hole is only 3 inches and I roll to my side, I wake up choking against the side of the bag! Hah!

Rab Gore-Tex Infinity Down Jacket Review