Q&A

Have a question about approach shoes? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

Solid with a good grip, but not particularly comfortable.

Price Paid: 140 EUR

Summary

Solid with a good grip, but not particularly comfortable.

Pros

• Light
  • Good grip on all terrains

Cons

• Comfort on long distances
  • Weak lateral support
  • Laces
  • The 3F design joke

I have mixed feelings about these shoes. I have the non-GTX version.

Used them for several years now in the alpine also in lower terrain. But I bought them for alpine approach so that's how I will judge them.

They have a pretty good grip on solid rock also on grassy slopes and scree. They are lightweight also and durable. But that's about the good parts.

These shoes are not the most comfortable when covering long distances with a heavy load. The metallic wire design, the mighty 3F, it's a joke. Total fail in my opinion. When you put a wire outside of your shoes and walk through juniper terrain (for example), some wooden sticks tend to mess with your metallic wires. And the "3F system" becomes the 3 F word system.

Other weak points: despite the long lacing design, these shoes do not keep their tightness, laces are difficult to useĀ  and the sizing is very odd.

Overall, I don't think I will buy Salewa again.

Thanks for the review, darkgreen.